"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Review: Stuart Little


Title: Stuart Little
Author: E.B. White
Pages: 131
Challenges: Pre 1960s Children Classics
Rating: 3/5

Summary from Goodreads:

Stuart Little is no ordinary mouse. Born to a family of humans, he lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. Though he's shy and thoughtful, he's also a true lover of adventure.

Stuart's greatest adventure comes when his best friend, a beautiful little bird named Margalo, disappears from her nest. Determined to track her down, Stuart ventures away from home for the very first time in his life. He finds adventure aplenty. But will he find his friend?


I honestly can't remember if I read Stuart Little when I was growing up or not.  I think it may have been read to me at some point, but even that is a little fuzzy.  Because of this, I thought Stuart Little would be a great choice for the Children's Classic Challenge I'm participating in.

Written in 1945, by famed author E.B. White, Stuart Little tells the story of a small mouse with grand ideas.  Born to human parents, Stuart is only 2 inches tall and must adjust to life where everything around him is ginormous.  Stuart loves his life and family, but soon finds himself on a great adventure, as he tries to find his best friend, the missing family bird.

All in all, Stuart Little wasn't at all like I suspected, and I actually found it to be a bit boring.  I feel horribly guilty even saying that, but to me the story felt disjounted and I can't believe it would hold the attention of a younger reader.  But, I've found out before that sometimes as an adult, the books I thought were so amazing when I was six, don't hold the same spark now as they did then.  Almost like a lose of innocence, and I find that to be sad.  But anyways, despite my thoughts, I'm still glad I read Stuart Little and look forward to reading some more children's classics throughout the year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails