"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review: The Secret of the Old Clock


Title: The Secret of the Old Clock
Author: Carolyn Keene
Pages: 180
Challenges: Classic Children's Books, Mystery and Crime
Rating: 3/5

Summary from Goodreads:

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

Ahh, good old Nancy Drew.  Back when I was much younger, my aunt bought me the first five or six Nancy Drew books in hardcover.  After that, each year for Christmas, I'd find a few more of the books in my Christmas gift.  I'd love to say I read them all, but I know that I did not.  However, The Secret of the Old Clock was always one of my favorites.  When I saw the Mystery and Crime Challenge this year, I knew the perfect books to read for the challenge - I was going to re-read my Nancy Drew collection.  Over the years, I've bought the books I hadn't recived and own nearly the entire collection in the yellow bound hardcovers...I'm quite proud of it...:)

I started The Secret of the Old Clock late in the afternoon, and after a few hours had completed the story and felt quite satisfied with the neat and tidy way it was wrapped up.  I again discovered why I had loved Nancy Drew so much as a young girl.  She's spunky and brave, but smart and clever also.  She isn't afraid to take anything head on, and she's always willing to help others.  It made me happy to read about her and sleuthing, and I was glad to take the afternoon to discover her again.

The Secret of the Old Clock tells the story of Josiah Crowley's missing will.  Along the way, we meet a bevy of wonderful and charming characters, all of whom fall in love with the sweet and kind Nancy Drew.  I had a fun time figuring out the mystery, and slowly remembering bits and pieces from when I read the book as a child. 

I'm so glad I re-read this one, and can't wait until I get to read the second book in the series The Hidden Staircase.  It promises to be even more rewarding!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails