"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Sit, Stay, Slay


Title: Sit, Stay, Slay
Author: Linda O Johnston
Pages: 2945
Challenges: Women Authors, Animal Challenge, Cozy Mystery Challenge, Mount TBR
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary from Goodreads:

Introducing Kendra Ballantyne... Former high-powered litigator (temporarily on the outs) Hollywood pet-sitter (desperately in need of cash) Crime-Solver (currently at wit's end) Canned from her L.A. law firm, Kendra Ballantyne is now a freelance pet-sitter. When her clients start getting knocked off one by one, Kendra fears she's being set up. Aided by sexy detective Jeff Hubbard, she's got to find out why, and fast. This killer's animal instincts are downright dangerous.

Sit, Stay, Slay is the first book in the Kendra Ballantyne Pet-Sitter Mystery series.  This is the second cozy mystery I've read this year and I'm definitely starting to see what the attraction is.  I'm really looking forward to continuing with this series in the months to come.

Kendra Ballantyne was once a successful LA lawyer.  That is, until someone sabatoged her career.  Now to make ends met, she's reneted out her house, sold most of her possessions, and taken up pet sitting.  Along side her trust King Cavalier Spaniel, she's waling dogs, feeding cats, and discovering murder victims...not your typical day on the job.

I read a lot of mixed reviews for Sit, Stay, Slay before I started reading.  The overall consensus between the lower rated reviews - Kendra was an unlikeable main character.  However, despite some of her flaws, I realy liked her.  I felt that everything she had been through really helped shape her and make her a stronger person.  Plus, I liked the fact that she was a strong woman who knew what she wanted.  She made herself known in a mainly male field and I enjoyed that.  Furthermore, I loved Kendra's relationship with PI Jeff Hubbard.  I'm glad they connected, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this relationship progresses throughout the series.

Overall, I'm glad I picked up Sit, Stay, Slay.  It was a cute and fast read and the mystery kept me turning pages.  There were a few bumps along the way, but nothing to stop me from finishing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails