"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Friday, February 27, 2009

Review: Wake


Title: Wake
Author: Lisa McMann
Pages: 210
Rating: 4.5/5

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does — they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....(Cover Blurb)

I've been looking at this book on and off for months on the shelves at Borders. I would pick it up, read the description and then put it back on the shelf each time. I wasn't sure if it would be something I would like, and I wasn't sure if I liked how the book was set up. It wasn't until Katie (she has a great blog and reads awesome books) said it was something that I might like, did I actually pick up a copy. I should have done it a long time ago.

I actually bought this book while I was on lunch at work, around noon. By the time I left work at 4:30pm I had already managed to sneak in about 50 pages. Once I opened it I couldn't put it down. I came home, read until we had to leave for dinner, and then got home around 9pm and finished up with it around 11pm. The book reads fast and the set up really helps it keep moving. I loved Janie and couldn't wait to see what happened to her. Plus Cabel, the "hero" of the story, is stunning. I could just picture him in my mind and wow...he's like up there with Edward wow for me.

The writing in this book is really good and the story is so gripping its all you can think about when you're finished with the novel. The story really sticks with you. It's really intense for a young adult novel and I was sucked in from the very first page. And then, as if the whole book being about dreams wasn't odd enough, I dreamt about Cabel last night...I told you he was Edward hot.

All I can say is thank goodness I bought the sequel while I was at Borders too...


2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm glad you liked it! I see you already read Fade too! (I'm avoiding your review!) I ordered it and it should be here soon...I can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I thought it was great and can't wait to read Fade.

Related Posts with Thumbnails