"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Review: The Boy Next Door


Title: The Boy Next Door
Author: Meg Cabot
Pages: 374
Rating: 4/5

To: You (you)

From: Human Resources (human.resources@thenyjournal.com)

Subject: This Book

Dear Reader,

This is an automated message from the Human Resources Division of the New York Journal, New York City's leading photo-newspaper. Please be aware that according to our records you have not yet read this book. What exactly are you waiting for? This book has it all:
  • Humor
  • Romance
  • Cooking tips
  • Great Danes
  • Heroine in peril
  • Dolphin-shaped driftwood sculptures

If you wish to read about any of the above, please do not hesitate to head to the checkout counter, where you will be paired with a sales associate who will work to help you buy this book.

We here at the New York Journal are a team. We win as a team, and lose as one as well. Don't you want to be on the winning team?

Sincerely,

Human Resources Division New York Journal

Please note that failure to read this book may result in suspension or dismissal from this store.

*********This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism.*********

I am sorry to say that I have never read a Meg Cabot novel before. Sure I've heard great things about them. I've even bought a few here or there. I've seen (and rather enjoyed) both Princess Diary movies, but still didn't pick any of Cabot's books up. However, this weekend, in my medicine induced coma, I found myself grabbing one off the shelf. And I could kick myself for waiting so long to find such a great author.

The Boy Next Door tells the story of Mel, a single girl, living in Manhattan, and working for The New York Journal. After finding her neighbor unconscious, Mel begins looking after the neighbors Great Dane and two cats. She also begins looking for her neighbor's only living relative, Max Frielander. Max, an obnoxious playboy and photographer calls in a favor from an old college friend to pretend to be him and go and take care of the animals. Hilarity, heartbreak, and hi jinks ensue.

Told through emails, this book is a fast, fun read that even being sick I still finished in two days. I have Cabot's other two books: Every Boys Got One and Boy Meets Girl, which are told in the same type of format that I'm definitely looking forward to reading.

I have to say, limiting myself to books that I already own has caused me to find some really great reads already this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what else my shelves have waiting for me in the months to come.



My own little Great Dane, Gidget :)

1 comment:

Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker said...

Great Review. I am going to be adding this book to my get list thanks to it. I have not yet read any of Meg Cabot either.

Related Posts with Thumbnails