"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review: Anne of Green Gables


Title: Anne of Green Gables
Author: L.M. Montgomery
Listening Time: 10 Hours and 2 minutes
Challenges: Mount TBR, Color Coded Challenge, Monthly Key Word
Rating: 5/5

Summary from Goodreads:

As soon as Anne Shirley arrived at the snug, white farmhouse called Green Gables, she knew she wanted to stay forever...but would the Cuthberts send her back to the orphanage? Anne knows she's not what they expected—a skinny girl with decidedly red hair and a temper to match. If only she could convince them to let her stay, she'd try very hard not to keep rushing headlong into scrapes or blurt out the very first thing she had to say. Anne was not like anybody else, everyone at Green Gables agreed; she was special—a girl with an enormous imagination. This orphan girl dreamed of the day when she could call herself Anne of Green Gables.

This book has been on my TBR for years.  Like since I was in the 5th grade years.  In fact, the copy I have is an Apple Classic, bought from a Scholastic/Troll book order form.  Plus, I'm pretty sure at one time it met up with a puddle or bathtub too because it's awfully warped looking.  I've looked at it from time to time, but never picked it up to seriously consider reading it.  I was changing that this year!  I downloaded the audio read by Shelly Frasier from the library and it was fabulous.  Her reading was superb!  I'm so glad that I finally read this wonderful classic!

Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert are looking to adopt a young boy to help them around their farm, Green Gables.  Yet, because of a mix up in messages, what they get instead is a red headed, skinny, orphan girl named Anne Shirley.  And Green Gables is never the same!  Anne is constantly finding herself mixed up in all sorts of troubles and tribulations, yet despite everything, she changes the lives of the Cuthberts for the better.

Anne is a wonderful character.  She was one that I was sad to see grow up, and I'm so glad that there are more stories to read about her in.  She is truly one of my favorite characters in literature.  I'm saddened that I waited as long as I did to get to know her.  I've missed out on so much!  I found my heart breaking with hers in her times of sorrow.  I also found myself laughing out loud at her antics.  This book was so enjoyable. 

I highly, highly recommend Anne of Green Gables, especially this particular audio.  It was beautifully read, and gave even more life to an already lively story!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails