"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: The Viscount Who Loved Me


Title:  The Viscount Who Loved Me
Author: Julia Quinn
Pages: 352
Challenges: Romance Reading Challenge, Mount TBR
Rating: 4/5

Summary from Goodreads:

1814 promises to be another eventful season, but not, this author believes, for Anthony Bridgerton, London's most elusive bachelor, who has shown no indication that he plans to marry.
And in truth, why should he? When it comes to playing the consummate rake, nobody does it better...
--Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, April 1814

But this time, the gossip columnists have it wrong. Anthony Bridgerton hasn't just decided to marry--he's even chosen a wife! The only obstacle is his intended's older sister, Kate Sheffield--the most meddlesome woman ever to grace a London ballroom. The spirited schemer is driving Anthony mad with her determination to stop the betrothal, but when he closes his eyes at night, Kate is the woman haunting his increasingly erotic dreams...

Contrary to popular belief, Kate is quite sure that reformed rakes do not make the best husbands--and Anthony Bridgerton is the most wicked rogue of them all. Kate is determined to protect her sister--but she fears her own heart is vulnerable. And when Anthony's lips touch hers, she's suddenly afraid she might not be able to resist the reprehensible rake herself...


Ahh, how I am adoring this series!!

The Viscount Who Loved Me tells the story of Anthony Bridgerton, the eldest son in the large Bridgerton family.  We first met Anthony in The Duke and I, and I was extremely anxious to hear his story.  I certainly wasn't disappointed!!

Anthony is stubborn and headstrong.  He knows what he wants and he isn't afraid to go after it.  But the one thing he never wanted was to fall in love.  Enter Kate Sheffield, the annoying older sister of the woman Anthony wants to marry.  How I loved Kate!  She was fierce and independent and absolutely not afraid to tell me people how she felt.  She wasn't soft spoken, and didn't let Anthony walk all over her.  He really had to earn his trust, and I loved that about her.

While I didn't love this one as much as The Duke and I, it wasn't far behind.  Julia Quinn's writing is amazing.  Her characters are spot on, and I fear she's ruining me for all other historical romance authors.  I can see myself quickly reading my way through her backlist, and adding her to my must buy list.  The Bridgerton family series will be a definite re-read in the future!

I did find myself falling more in love with Colin Bridgerton in this book, and I can't wait to read his story.  He is an excellent character, and I think his story will be quite charming.  I believe he may just be my favorite Bridgerton!

1 comment:

Debbie's World of Books said...

This was the first book I read in the Bridgerton series (not knowing it was a series) and I loved it! It is one of my favorites from the series. I can't wait for her next book to come out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails