"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review: Chapter and Hearse


Title: Chapter and Hearse
Author: Lorna Barrett
Listening Time: 9 hours and 20 minutes
Challenge: Cozy Mystery Challenge
Rating: 4/5

Summary from Goodreads:

According to the gossip around Stoneham, New Hampshire, Tricia Miles cannot put down a real murder mystery. After all, the owner of the mystery bookstore, Haven’t Got a Clue, has been spending more time solving whodunits than reading them…

Tricia’s sister, Angelica, considers herself to be the next celebrity chef. To celebrate her first cookbook, Angelica hosts a launch party, but sadly the only guest is an oversized cutout of herself. Worse than the lack of fans is a nearby gas explosion that injures her boyfriend, Bob Kelly, the head of the Chamber of Commerce.

Tricia’s never been a fan of Bob, but when she reads that Bob is being tight-lipped about the “accident” and how it killed the owner of the town’s history bookstore, it’s time to take action. As the incriminating details emerge, Tricia gets wrapped up in a murder that proves to be as spine-tingling as the books that line her shelves…


Chapter and Hearse is book four in the Booktown mystery series.  This has come to be one of my favorite series recently and I love these audiobooks.  As I finish one, I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.  Chapter and Hearse didn't disappoint.  In fact, I think this may just be my favorite one yet.

Tricia and her little group of friends are celebrating the release of Angelica's cookbook, when a horrible explosion rattles the windows of Haven't Got a Clue bookstore.  Unfortunately the explosion ends with the death of Jim Roth, the owner of History Repeats Itself, and the injury of Bob Kelly.  Bob becomes the prime suspect, and Tricia heads out to find the true killer.

This one was full of intrigue and humor.  A few times, I found myself grinning or giggling out loud.  Especially the scene where Tricia attempts to make blueberry muffins and then fed them to her employees.  It was a disaster from the very beginning!

Mystery wise I think was probably one of the best so far.  I never did figure out who the bad guy was and really enjoyed the clues leading up to it, even if I didn't "get it."  Plus I found Tricia to be a little bit less pushy in this one and not as headstrong about going after the bad guy.  It made me like her a lot more, and made her feel less Nancy Drew like, which wasn't a good trait for her.  We also got to see a much more personal side to her which was wonderful!

I have two more mysteries in this series before I'll be completely caught up!  Then I'll be on the look out for a new cozy mystery series!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails