"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Baby, Drive South


Title: Baby, Drive South
Author: Stephanie Bond
Pages: 336
Challenges: Contemporary Romance Challenge
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary from Goodreads:

Southern town seeks single women. Lots of them

The hardheaded Armstrong brothers are determined to rebuild their tornado-ravaged hometown in the Georgia mountains. They've got the means, they've got the manpower...what they need are women So they place an ad in a northern newspaper and wait for the ladies to answer their call....

Porter, the youngest Armstrong, is all for importing women. Still, he's so blown away by the sheer numbers, he falls off the water tower. Luckily there's a doctor among the newcomers--sweet and sexy Dr. Nikki Salinger.

And Porter has every intention of checking out her bedside manner....


I downloaded the audio of Baby, Drive South from the library on a whim.  I've been more interested in contemporary romance this year, and found the cover and description to be intriguing.  However, upon starting the audio, I realized that I wasn't going to enjoy it.  Not because of the book, but because of the narrator.  She's a wonderful reader, and I normally enjoy her audiobooks, but I couldn't stand her reading this book.  I ended up getting the actual book from the library and flew through it rather quickly.  This is the first Stephanie Bond book that I've read, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy.  Bond has another series out that I might check out also.  Has anyone read any of these?

Baby, Drive South tells the story of the youngest Armstrong brother, Porter.  Porter is reckless and wild and stubborn.  He and his brother Kendall thought up an ad to get some single woman to their struggling new town.  However, Porter wasn't expecting the tiny Nikki Salinger to create chaos in his whole world.

I really enjoyed Porter and Nikki's story.  No matter how hard these two tried, they just couldn't get it right.  it always seemed like something or someone was getting in the way.  As a reader, that sometimes got to be a bit frustrating.  I wanted to shake one or both of them!  And Porter was such an ass, for lack of a better term, at the beginning of the story that for a while I really didn't like him.  And then I realized that he was just an ignorant man.  After that realization it was much easier to but his stupidness aside and grow to like him.  As for Nikki, I liked her from the very beginning and was rooting for her to fall in love the whole time.

All in all, Baby, Drive South was a pretty solid contemporary.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails