"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Chilren

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Pages: 352
Rating: 5/5

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows (goodreads.com).

This is probably the best book I have read in 2011.  I was completely hooked from the very first page.  I was enthralled by the story, and even more so by the pictures that litter the pages of this book.  The old photographs were equally creepy and fascinating, and I found myself looking at them again and again.  I couldn't get enough of them.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is an extremely character driven story.  Told through the eyes of 16 year old Jacob, we learn of a fantasy world that his grandfather told him about.  I fantasy world that his grandfather swears is real.  But Jacob doesn't believe him...at first.

I love Jacob.  I love Miss Peregrine.  And I love the Peculiar Children.  This entire story is just spellbinding.  The writing, for one, is magnificent.  It's smooth and flowing.  It's detailed without being boring.  It's perfect.  I think everyone should give this book a try.  And as an added incentive, I'm posting the book trailer which I really love!!




1 comment:

RAnn said...

Guess I'll have to add this to my list. Thanks for a great review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails