"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Review: Chain Reaction

Title: Chain Reaction
Author: Simone Elkeles
Pages: 308
Rating: 5/5

Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill.

Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her parents may be from Mexico, but as a doctor’s daughter, she has more in common with her north-side neighbors than the Latino Blood at her school. Then she meets Luis at Alex’s wedding, and suddenly, she’s tempted to break all her rules.

Getting Nikki to take a chance on a southsider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world and permanently living on the edge (goodreads.com)?

I've been obsessed with this series since reading Perfect Chemistry two years ago.  I couldn't get enough of these bad boys.  Despite being a book that I should absolutely hate, the Perfect Chemistry books are three books that I absolutely ADORE.  Elkeles is an awesome writer and something about these books is addicting.

The Fuentes brothers are back, and Chain Reaction focuses on Luis Fuentes, the youngest of the three boys.  In both Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction, Luis was the all around good boy.  His brothers always said he wouldn't live the life they had, he wouldn't be involved in the gangs and so on.  So when I found out he had a book coming out, I wasn't sure how Elkeles was going to develop his character.  Despite my hesitation, Luis is my favorite of the three boys!

One of the things I love most about these books is the insane attraction between both the male and female protagonists and how they fight it almost the entire time.  I can't turn the pages fast enough to see what is going to happen next and who is going to end up with who and what kind of trouble everyone is getting in.  I think these are definitely one of those books where you live vicariously through the characters.

I bought this one for my Kindle because I had to have it RIGHT NOW, and we no longer have a bookstore (so crappy...).  I will, however, be getting it to match the other two in the series.  This is a set of books I think I will read over and over!!

Here's the trailer for a little bit more enticement...:)






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails