"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Audio Review: Pretty Little Liars


Title: Pretty Little Liars
Author: Sara Shepard
Listening Time: 7hrs and 5mins
Rating: 3.5/5

In the exclusive Philadelphia suburb of Rosewood, Alison is the Queen Bee of her elite seventh grade hive. BFs Aria, Hanna, Spencer, and Emily vie for her attention, even as each of them hides a hideous secret only Alison knows. So when Alison goes missing after a slumber party, never to be seen again, each girl is heartbroken, but also a little relieved. Now it is three years later, and though the four girls have grown apart, they are each still hiding something. Artsy Aria is carrying on an affair with one of her teachers, fashionista Hanna shoplifts to accessorize her trendy outfits, blue-blood Spencer is sleeping with her older sister’s boyfriend, while straight-A Emily is trying to ignore her attraction to a new female classmate. When the girls begin receiving threatening text messages and emails that from someone known only as "A," they must confront the fact that against all odds, it appears Alison is back. Could Alison still be alive? And if so, why is she so determined to uncover all their dirty little secrets? (goodreads.com)

I'm pretty sure I bought Pretty Little Liars when it first was published, and it has sat on my shelf ever since.  I think I own up through book seven.  I've always wanted to read it but something else would come up and it would get pushed farther back on the TBR pile.  So, when I saw this available as an audio book on the library website, I snatched it up and started it the next day at work. 

I loved the audio, and thought it was really well done.  I also enjoyed the story...even though at times it had my jaw hanging to the floor.  These girls are BAD!!  I don't know if I would recommend this for really early YA readers.  It's definitely for the older crowd.

Now, on to the girls.  Pretty Little Liars centers around five friends - Alison who disappears in the first few pages; Emily the sporty, quiet, obiedient one; Aria the funky, insecure one that really pushes the boundaries; Spencer who tries to be a little miss perfect and finally Hannah who is basically the queen B*tch.  Each of these girls has a secret...a big secret.  No one knows what it is outside of the circle...or so they think.  This is where the book gets good, and a bit creepy.  Someone does know, and someone is spying on all the girls, bringing up the past.  Someone with the first initial A...

All in all, Pretty Little Liars was fast paced, attention grabbing, and full of what ifs.  I already pulled the second one off the shelf because I just have to find out what happens!!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails