"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, February 15, 2010

Review: Gone


Title: Gone
Author: Lisa McMann
Pages: 214
Rating: 5/5

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her.

She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out. . . . (Cover Blurb)


I didn't read a single review for this book before opening it up. All I knew was that I had loved both Wake and Fade more than I have ever loved another young adult book (except for Twilight but that doesn't count...lol). I picked this up at Borders on Saturday night and started this book this morning before heading off to work. I was instantly hooked, and despite work and cleaning my house, I managed to find the time to finish this one up tonight. I wasn't disappointed. I adored this book as much as the first two.

Gone is much different from the first two books. Rather than dealing with a mystery of sorts, we get to see Janie struggle with her future. A future that is actually much darker than we originally thought. I don't want to give anything away about this book, so I'm not going to say much more about the plot, other than everyone should read these three books.

However, back to the reviews. I'm always curious after finishing a book to see how my opinions compare to those of other readers. Because of this, I'm always up to checking out the reviews on amazon.com. Wow, this book did not seem to fair well, and I don't understand why. I do understand that this book is different from the first two, but it is a conclusion to a trilogy. We need to look at all points of view, and we need to see the inner struggles that Janie must deal with as she faces a future more uncertain than any other living being. Many reviews stated that this book was nothing but filler, drawn out to provide a "finish" to a series. Others suggested that McMann should have finished the series with Fade, rather than going on to a third and final book. I'm curious to see what other readers around the blogging world had to say about this one. Am I alone in the fact that I loved this book and the conclusion it gave to Janie's story?

3 comments:

Marce said...

Wow, I just read another review, here it is from Marq
http://lovetoreadforfun.blogspot.com/2010/02/review-gone-by-lisa-mcmann.html

I loved Wake, going to read Fade next, i'm totally excited about this thrilogy and glad to see you enjoyed it so much.

I did only glimpse your review as I don't want to spoil it for myself.

Sunnysmileqt said...

MarceJ~

Fade was my favorite out of all three books so I hope you enjoy it!! It really is an amazing trilogy :)

The1stdaughter said...

I'll be interested to see how it goes. I've read Fade and Wake, and Gone is on my list to read this week. Hopefully it will go as well as your reading did. Great review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails