"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Review: Aunt Dimity's Death


Title: Aunt Dimity's Death
Author: Nancy Atherton
Pages: 244
Rating: 4.5/5

When Lori Shepherd was a little girl she used to lie in bed at night with a stuffed rabbit named Reginald and listen to her mother's stories of the indomitable Aunt Dimity, who lived in far-off England . But now Lori is a newly divorced, down-on-her-luck grown-up, her mother is dead, and Lori's long since realized that Aunt Dimity was just a character in a comforting bedtime story.

Or was she? One day the bedraggled Lori is summoned from the latest of her dreadful temp jobs to the Dickensian law firm of Willis & Willis. There Willises Junior and Senior inform her that Aunt Dimity was indeed a real person--a very rich real person who's just died and left Lori a respectable bequest. Unfortunately, there's one catch: Lori must visit Aunt Dimity's English cottage and find a secret hidden among the treasure trove of letters written by her mother and Dimity over the four decades of their friendship.

What begins as a fairy tale in an improbably cozy setting becomes a mystery--and a ghost story--as Aunt Dimity's gentle spirit leads Lori on an unotherworldly quest that Dimity could not fulfill in her own lifetime. And for Lori, Dimity's bequest is even greater than she dreamed, as she discovers that in this life, true love can conquer all (aunt-dimity.com).



What a great start to a really cute series!! I really liked Lori, and instantly feel in love with Aunt Dimity. I flew through this book, and can't wait to read more of the series.

I'm new to this whole cozy mystery thing, and I do enjoy a bit of murder and intrigue in my mysteries, but I found the premise of this book to be just what I was looking for. This is the type of book that you can curl up with beside a warm fire, wrapped up in your favorite blanket and get lost in. I loved the descriptions of the Dimity's gardens, and found myself longing to take a trip to England to enjoy the English countryside.

One thing that I thought made this book, was Bill Willis and his father William Willis Sr. This father and son team of lawyers are so sweet, and Bill's love for Lori is adorable. I'm looking forward to reading more about this relationship in coming books. Also, I think William Willis Sr is one of the cutest older gentleman characters I've read about in a long time. He truly cares about Lori and what happens to her.

I've already finished the next two books in the series, and should have the reviews up today. What I'm wondering is, are there more series out there written with the same type of style as these? Like I said, I don't know much about cozy mysteries, but I really am enjoying them, and I'd like to here your recommendations for other series I might enjoy also.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails