"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, January 4, 2010

Review: Liar


Title: Liar
Author: Justine Larbalestier
Pages: 384
Rating: 4/5

Micah will freely admit she’s a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she’ll ever tell you. Over the years she’s fooled everyone: her classmates, her teachers, even her parents. And she’s always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as easily as breathing?

Taking listeners deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them — and herself — that she’s finally come clean, Liar is a bone-chilling thriller that will have listeners seesawing between truths and lies right up to the end. Honestly (BN.com).


I don't even know where to start with this review. I'm still not sure what I was expecting when I started it, but I certainly was not prepared for all the twists and turns this book has. I'm pretty sure I'm still reeling!

The main character of this book, Micah, is a liar. We know that from the very beginning of the story. We can tell from the title of the book. There is really no reason to believe her. And then the story starts. And it sounds like the truth. I think/thought it was the truth. Now I'm not so sure. I don't want to give away any spoilers, plus the whole thing is so hard to explain, so you'll have to read the book to find out what I mean.

I will say, the writing in this book is phenomenal. This is the first book I've read by this author, but I will definitely be looking up her other stuff. However, the best part about this book is the premise. I don't think I've read a book that was quite this original in a long long time.

I did a bit of research when I finished the book, and happened upon the author's website. On her website is a short blog about not spoiling the book for others, and included in that is this quote:

I deliberately wrote the book to be read in at least two different ways. You may think you know what kind of book it is and what kind of person Micah is, but you’ll find other readers will disagree with you completely. There is no one right way to read this book. And that’s why I’m so keen for readers not to spoil it for others. Because I want each reader to come to their own conclusions (Link).

More than anything else I can say, I think this one short quote somes up the feelings of the book. There is no right way to read it and there is no right answer. It makes me wonder sometimes if Larbalesteir is even aware of what the answer is. But I have my theories...that I do.

2 comments:

Marce said...

Very nice review, I really want to read this one and everyone is vague which intrigues me more.

Christine said...

I read this book back in November. Like you said, I think it is very very well written as well... and I wasn't sure I was liking it because of Micah's lying, but then I became so absorbed and I wanted to trust Micah so badly. And in the end... I'm still not sure what to believe. The book stayed with me for so long... that I deemed it one of my favorite books of 2009. So fascinating.

Related Posts with Thumbnails