"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Friday, January 1, 2010

Review: Crank


Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Pages: 537
Rating: 5/5

Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina --- she's fearless.

Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul --- her life (Cover blurb).

Can someone please tell me WHY I waited so long to read Ellen Hopkins??? I came home from work yesterday at 11:30am and started this book and was done by six. It was absolutely one of the most amazing books that I have ever read in my entire life. Are all her books this riveting?? I could not put this book down for anything. Kristina's story was so real, and touched me so deeply. I truly felt all of her pain, her need, her loss. It was like I was living with the monster.

This book is hard edged, true to life, and will absolutely blow you away. If you've ever watched the show Intervention, and seen how the drugs and alcohol has affected people's lives, this book will give you those same feelings. At times, I was close to tears. Other times, I was completely frustrated with Kristina and her decisions. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

Not only was the story telling superb, Hopkins writing style and poetry is some of the best I have ever seen. The way she writes, and the way she shapes the words on the page makes for an incredible read.

I have already started the sequel to this novel, Glass. Just a few pages in, I can already tell that this book is going to be as riveting as it predecessor.

So, my advice to you would be to run, not walk, to your nearest library, bookstore, bookmobile, where ever you need to go and get your hands on a copy of Crank. You will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails