"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: Jellicoe Road


Title: Jellicoe Road
Author: Melina Marchetta
Pages: 432
Rating: 5/5

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future (goodreads.com)

For my first Mother's Day, Hubby bought me a Kindle which I have named Geraldine.  I love her!!  The first book I downloaded and quickly read was Jellicoe Road.  And can I just say, it was simply amazing.  I don't understand why I haven't heard more about this book on the blogs.  Maybe I'm just behind, but I couldn't put this down. 

First of all, Marchetta's writing is absolutely exquisite.  I can't think of a better word to even describe it.  The book simply flows, with this gorgeous writing that had me enveloped in layers upon layers of emotions.  I loved every minute of it.  I immediately fell in love with the characters, and was brought to tears by the last page.  It was one of those books in which I immediately wanted to start reading it again. 

I know a lot of people have started this book and given up on it because it was confusing.  DON'T DO IT!!  Stick with it, keep notes, do whatever you have to do.  Once the story is right in your mind, you'll be so happy you stuck with it.  Each of the characters just crawls into your head, and pretty soon you'll feel as though you are hanging out with them.  Their story will become your story.  Trust me on this one. 

I'm looking forward to reading more of Marchetta's writings, but Jellicoe Road will be a book that read again and again and again.  It touched me so profoundly, that I just can't say enough!  It's a story about forgiviness and moving on, friendship and love, life and death. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails