"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Review: I Heart You, You Haunt Me


Title: I Heart You, You Haunt Me
Author: Lisa Schroeder
Pages: 227
Rating: 1/5

Girl meets boy.

Girl loses boy.

Girl gets boy back...

...sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds (goodreads.com).

I've read a few different books told in verse, and I'd heard good things about Lisa Schroeder so I wanted to give her a try.  I Heart You, You Haunt Me is a short, fast read that I was able to complete in one sitting.  However, unlike the other books in verse that I've read, I didn't love it.  In fact, I didn't even really like it.

For one thing, I absolutely detested the main character Ava.  I'm not really sure what it was about her I didn't like, but she constantly grinded on my nerves.  I just found her to be a bit whiney and depressing.  Not exactly great character traits for the main person in the story.  Secondly, I thought the book was much too short to fully flush out the story.  Many of the other books I've read in verse have been around 400 to 600 pages.  At a little over 200, I thought this book seemed to be a bit rushed.

I'd looked forward to reading this one for quite a while, so I was disappointed in my feelings about it.  However, I'd like to give Schroeder another chance and see if it was just this particular book I didn't like or any of her books.  Wish me luck!!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails