"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Fearscape


Title: Fearscape
Author: Simon Holt
Pages: 314
Rating: 5/5

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS TO THE FIRST TWO BOOKS IN THE SERIES THE DEVOURING AND THE SOLSTICE.

The Vours: evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the Winter Solstice.

It's been a year since Reggie first discovered the Vours, and the Winter Solstice is approaching once again. It will be another night of unspeakable horror for those unlucky enough to be taken by the Vours, because this time, she won't be able to stop them. The Vours have imprisoned Reggie in a psychiatric hospital, where she is subjected to a daily routine of unfathomably sadistic experiments. Her life is a living Hell, but she won't give up. They attacked her brother. They killed her friend. And Reggie will never stop fighting back (goodreads.com).

At the end of The Solstice, Reggie is hauled away to the psychiatric hospital where the evil Dr. Unger lurks. Here Reggie is subjected to hundreds of experiments, visiting fearscape after fearscape. One of the darkest and scariest scenes, for myself, happened while Reggie was still in the hospital and it involved Dr. Unger. That being said, I think that Holton's writing is truly terrifying. The descriptions of the different fearscapesin this book are even more frightening than those in the two previous books. Holton has gone above and beyond in Fearscape to bring the reading to the truly terrifying. I was completely sucked into the story and found myself avoiding dark rooms and for a week straight I went to bed whenever hubby went to bed - never after.

My favorite character in this book has to be Quinn. I think he overcame so much after Reggie freed him from the vour in The Solstice, and it was nice to watch him grow in Fearscape. I also think I might have a tiny little crush on good Quinn...lol.

One of the things that really made this book for me were the surprise twists and turns. Holt took this book in a direction that I never saw coming and I was completely shocked by the end. I thought this was a perfect wrap up to a really good trilogy and one I'll enjoy reading again.

If you like a good scare, pick up this trilogy and enjoy...just don't read it with the lights out!!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails