"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (2)


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

I'm really really looking forward to my pick this week:

The Storm Chasers

Author: Jenna Blum
Release Date: May 27, 2010



Summary:

As a teenager, Karena Jorge had always been the one to look out for her twin brother Charles, who suffers from bipolar disorder. But as Charles begins to refuse medication and his manic tendencies worsen, Karena finds herself caught between her loyalty to her brother and her fear for his life. Always obsessed with the weather-enraptured by its magical unpredictability that seemed to mirror his own impulses- Charles starts chasing storms, and his behavior grows increasingly erratic . . . until a terrifying storm chase with Karena ends with deadly consequences, tearing the twins apart and changing both of their lives forever.

Two decades later, Karena gets a call from a psychiatric ward in Wichita, Kansas, to come pick up her brother, whom she hasn't seen or spoken to for twenty years. She soon discovers that Charles has lied to the doctors, taken medication that could make him dangerously manic, and disappeared again. Having exhausted every resource to try and track him down, Karena realizes she has only one last chance of finding him: the storms. Wherever the tornadoes are, that's where he'll be. Karena joins a team of professional stormchasers-passionate adventurers who will transform her life and give her a chance at love and redemption- and embarks on an odyssey to find her brother before he reveals the violent secret from their past and does more damage to himself . . . or to someone else (amazon.com).

I read Blum's first novel, Those Who Save Us in 2008 when I first started blogging. I absolutely adored it and my review for it can be found here. I was so excited when I found this book the other day on Amazon, that I almost shouted out loud. I am really looking forward to reading this, and hope that is is as good as the author's first work!!

7 comments:

j said...

This looks like it will be one of those heartfelt ones that stay with you after reading it. Good pick. Here is mine:
http://afewgoodbooks1.blogspot.com/2010/03/waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

I'm excited for this one too. Those Who Save Us has really stuck with me.

Mine is at The Introverted Reader.

Jan von Harz said...

I have always had a fascination with tornados. In another life I think I would like to be a Storm Chaser. The book therefore sound very appealing. I will be interested in knowing what you have to say about it after you read it.

Jill said...

I'm so excited about this one, too! Thanks for participating!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This sounds great. I love this kind of story. Thanks

Here is my pick:

http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2010/03/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Lori said...

I absolutely love that cover. The blurb reads interesting too. Here'sMine.

Alayne said...

Excellent pick, it makes me miss the midwest. My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Related Posts with Thumbnails