"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Banned Books Week 9-25 to 10-2

Yesterday marked the first day of banned books week for 2010. I had hoped to get this posted then, but with the way life is, I missed out. However, despite being late, I still find it extremely important to mention and acknowledge banned books and how important this week is to everyone within the United States. You can read more about banned books week here.

As a reader, banning books makes me sick to my stomach.  Not only is it a violation of our First Admendment rights, it is robbing our world of so many wonderful books and authors.  Many of the books listed on the complilations of banned books were books that I enjoyed over and over again as a young child.  I'm thankful to the fact that my parents never censored anything I read, and that they allowed me to form my own opinions and to create my own views on the books around me. 

To celebrate Banned Books Week, I'm going to take this week to read a few of my favorite books that I read growing up that have appeared on various banned books lists.  I want to review these books and get their information out there so that all readers can share in these wonderful titles!!



1 comment:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Great post! I am enjoying reading the thoughts on BBW!

Related Posts with Thumbnails