"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, May 3, 2010

Review: Touch


Title: Touch
Author: Francine Prose
Pages: 262
Rating: 2/5

What really happened at the back of the bus?

Did they, or didn't they?

Did she, or didn't she?

Something happened to fourteen-year-old Maisie Willard—something involving her three friends, all boys. But their stories don't match, and the rumors spin out of control. Then other people get involved . . . the school, the parents, the lawyers. The incident at the back of the bus becomes the center of Maisie's life and the talk of the school, and, horribly, it becomes news. With just a few words and a touch, the kids and their community are changed forever.

From nationally acclaimed author Francine Prose comes an unforgettable story about the difficulties of telling the truth, the consequences of lying, and the most dangerous twist of all—the possibility that you yourself will come to believe something that you know isn't true (harperteen.com).


Sounds like a good read doesn't it? Oh how I wish it was. This book really, really dragged. It took me almost two weeks to read it, and I read four other book in between starting it and finishing it.

The first issue I had with the book was that I couldn't connect with the main character. She seemed really distant, and I never felt as though I really got to know her. Yes, we knew what she was thinking, and what had happened to her, but I felt like it was just words. For a book about such a tough subject matter, I didn't feel any emotion. I just felt...blah.

Secondly, the way in which the book was written was just really boring. There was absolutely no change in pace throught the whole 250 pages. I often found myself drifting from the story and thinking about what I was going to make for dinner, or when I was going to clean the house.

Others might really like this book, and maybe at a different time, I would have enjoyed it myself. I was definitely disappointed because I was really hoping to like this one.



1 comment:

Christina T said...

I've been curious about this but I don't know if I'd like it. I think I will skip it for now. It is too bad when a reading experience is ruined because we can't connect with the characters!

Related Posts with Thumbnails