"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Friday, December 31, 2010

Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge 2011

Melissa @ The Betty and Boo Chronicles is hosting this challenge for the second year in a row. Melissa states:

About the Challenge: If you enjoy reading memoirs or really haven't explored them as much as you'd like to, then this is the challenge for you. Anything that in your mind qualifies as a memoir will meet the challenge requirements. Letters, diaries, autobiographies, books on writing memoirs ... in my book, they all count as Memorable Memoirs. Books, e-books, audiobooks are all fine.

Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2011. You can sign up anytime from now and throughout 2011, but don't start reading until January 1, 2011.

Requirements: It's up to you! I want this to be a fun and low-key challenge, yet one that will be worthwhile of your valuable reading time. If that means reading one memoir, that's great. If that means reading three dozen, even better. You decide what works for you. Overlaps with other challenges are more than fine ... even encouraged. :)

Write a post (or include your intention to participate in this along with other challenges) on your blog (if you don't have a blog, you can just leave a comment). Tell us how many Memorable Memoirs you're planning on reading. You don't need to list your books in advance, but if you want to, we'd love to see which ones you're thinking about. You can always change them later. (I'll create a list of possibilities based on some of my own memoir reading and that which participants did last year.)

For this challenge I would like to read ten memoirs.  I'm not sure if I'll get through all of them, but I have so many ones that sound amazing on my shelves that I couldn't pass them up.  Here's the list:
  1. The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
  2. Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
  3. The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
  4. A Girl Names Zippy - Havien Kimmel
  5. The Color of Water - James McBride
  6. Dewey - Vicki Myron
  7. The Tender Bar - JR Moehringer
  8. Falling Leaves - Adeline Yen Mah
  9. Stolen Lives - Malika Oufkir
  10. Breath, Eyes, Memory - Edwidge Danticat

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails