"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Review: Th1rteen R3asons Why


Title: Th1rteen R3asons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Pages: 288
Rating: 5/5

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers (Cover Blurb).


This is probably one of the most amazing author debut's that I have ever read. From the very beginning, I was completely immersed in the story and could not put this book down. Gratefully, I have never had to experience the pain that a suicide can cause for those around it. However, just by reading this book, I could feel the pain and heartbreak in Hannah's every word.

I think my favorite part of this story was the way in which the story was told. I truly think that the idea to use left behind tapes as a type of "note" was an absolutely brillant idea by the author, Jay Asher. It was one of the most original ideas I have read in a long time. It was heartbreaking to hear the story told through Hannah's voice, and made Clay's reaction to her words ten times as strong.

I had grabbed this book at the library because I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay the price for the hardcover, but this is definitely one I will be picking up to have a copy of my own. This book is clearly one of the best reads of 2009.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails