"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, December 21, 2009

Review: Because I Am Furniture


Title: Because I Am Furniture
Author: Thalia Chaltas
Pages: 352
Rating: 4.5/5

Anke's father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she is ignored, forced to be an invisible witness in a house of horrors. Believing she isn't worthy of even the worst kind of attention, Anke feels about as significant as the living room sofa. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. In a sport where you have to yell "Mine!" to play the ball, Anke learns for the first time how to make herself heard. As her confidence on the court builds, she finds a voice she didn't know existed. And it's not long before she realizes that if she can make people hear her while she's playing volleyball, then maybe she can be heard at home, too (Cover Blurb).

This novel was something new for me. Told through poem, Because I Am Furniture, tells the story of Anke and her family and their struggle with her abusive father. A rather quick, but enjoyable read, this novel touched me deeply. I loved how we see Anke gain a voice in her life, and finally shout out against the injustice her family has experienced.

I was extremely nervous about starting this book and wasn't sure how I would like it, due to the format. However, I read this book in one setting, and felt that the format not only told the story thoroughly, but also caused it to have an almost haunting voice. This is definitely a story that will stick with the reader long after it is finished.

This was author Thalia Chaltas first published work, and I will most certainly be keeping my eyes and ears open for anything new by her. I truly enjoyed reading this novel told through poetry and highly recommend it to others!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails