"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Review: Spells and Sleeping Bags


Title: Spells and Sleeping Bags
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Pages: 293
Rating: 3.5/5

At long last, Rachel's powers have arrived and she's a bona fide get-your-broom-ready witch!

And it's happened just in time. No Manhattan for her this summer—she's spending her vacation at Camp Wood Lake.But she's having some serious issues:

Mosquitoes in the Adirondacks are incredibly thirsty.

Her stepmom keeps sending embarrassing feminine hygiene care packages.

She accidentally zapped away all her clothes.

And there's a backstabber in her cabin intent on making life miserable.

Good thing Rachel's a witch (Cover Blurb).

I finished Spells and Sleeping Bags last night before heading off to dreamland. So far, this has been my least favorite of the series. I felt a lot of the really quirky dialogue was missing, and I had the whole mystery of the book figured out way before the end. I think, in comparison to the other two books, this one moved at a slower pace. It was still good, and I still love Rachel and Miri, I just felt it didn't have the *bam* of the other two books.

Rachael and Miri are away at summer camp. Rachel's whole goal for the summer is to get together with Raf, her crush from the first two books. While, it is amusing to see the messes she gets into, I missed the more intense scenes between Rachel and Miri - their relationship seemed to suffer a little in this book, and I missed the sisterly bonding. Plus, a lot of the humor in the first two books of the series, came from the trouble that the two girls got into together. Although, when Rachael turns her bikini into a thong, and then into a see through bikini it is pretty funny. She definitely doesn't have control of her magic.

All in all, I've been pleased with this series so far. I started the last book in the series, (I'm not sure if the author is planning on writing more - this last book was just released on Dec. 23rd), Parties and Potions this morning so I should be able to finish that one quickly. I do think, if more books are planned I will be reading them. They're a nice, easy read and a welcome break from some of the more adult books I read last year.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails