"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, May 24, 2010

What are you reading (11)?


It's Monday! What are you reading this week? is a weekly event now hosted by One Persons Journey Through a World Of Books. It's helpful way to take a look at what you have read and what you want to read!

It's been two weeks since my last what are you reading post and in those two weeks I read...nothing. The week before last, I was struck with a horrible spring cold mixed with allergies that knocked me out of the running for a few days. I managed to only miss one day of work, but on the days I did go, I literally put in my eight hours and then came home and went to bed. The words on books just swam on the page and made my head hurt.

Then this past week, I had a little mini vacation. I worked Monday and Tuesday and then on Wednesday went to Holmes County where the Amish live with my mom and brother. We had a wonderful time! My brother is in seminary studying to be a Catholic priest and we don't see him nearly enough so it was so nice to spend some time together. Here's a really fun picture of him. He's the one on the motorcycle!

Thursday was Hubby and I's four year wedding anniversary. I can't believe it's been four years!! We had both taken the day off work and spent the day sitting outside, watching movies, and just hanging out with each other. There never seems to be enough time for that so it made for a great anniversary and a wonderful day.

I do have two books started and hope to finish them up this week along with a few others. It's supposed to be beautiful all week so it should mean plenty of time to sit outside, enjoy the sunshine and read some good books. Here's what is on the agenda:
  1. The Help - Kathryn Stockett: I'm a little over fifty pages into this book and really enjoying it. I can see now why it has been so well received.
  2. My Fair Lazy - Jen Lancaster: I love this author and this book is just as funny as her previous memoirs. I'm hoping to finish this one up in the next day or two.
  3. The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank - Ellen Feldman: This one has been sitting on my shelf for years now, and it sounds really good. I'm excited because it's different from the books I've been reading lately.
  4. Daughters of the Witching Hill - Mary Sharratt: I picked this one up on a whim last time I was at Borders because I loved the description and the summary sounds amazing. It almost reminds me of the tone of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.
  5. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen: I've read this one twice already, but always find it to be an enjoyable read in the spring. I'm looking forward to reading it once again.

So that's my week. What do you have planned?

11 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Busy couple weeks for you but other than being sick it sounds like you are having a good time. Love the picture. Enjoy your reads - The Help is a great read!

Stephanie said...

Happy anniversary to you and your hubby! By the way, I loved The Help. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://laughingstars.net

jlshall said...

That's a great line-up! Sorry you weren't feeling well for a while there - sounds like you had the same thing I've got. Hope you stay well and enjoy all your reading this week!

The1stdaughter said...

Happy Anniversary! It looks like, despite the lack of reading, you've still managed to have a fantastic couple of weeks (minus the yucky colds & allergies, I feel you on that one, blah!).

I hope you enjoy The Help and Water for Elephants (I'm waiting on this one until after the movie comes out)!

Have a fantastic reading week and if you get a chance, stop by: Monday Reading's at There's A Book

Elena said...

I've heard good things about Water for Elephants, have a copy in fact, but I haven't read it yet. Good luck with your plans for the week.

Unknown said...

I really loved The Help and usually I don't like the most popular books (they are always so sad and real life is sad enough), but this I really enjoyed. I'm sorry you've been sick and I completely feel your pain right now.

Dugout Daisy said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you feel better soon!
I am just finishing The Help, and I can't put it down!!! Such a good book, can't wait to see what you think about it :)

detweilermom said...

I have an award for you

http://detweilermom.blogspot.com/

Janet Johnson said...

Thanks for the book suggestions. I've been a bit lazy lately, too.

Sounds like a fun mini-vacation. And I love the picture of your brother on the motorcycle. :)

Marce said...

Happy Belated Anniversary.

I have Water for Elephants, it is on my soon tbr list.

I have an award for you.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/06/awards-awards-awards-thank-you.html

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've been enjoying your family time despite your allergies! :) I really want to read Water for Elephants as I've heard great things about it. Have fun reading!

Related Posts with Thumbnails