"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review: Books Can Be Deceiving


Title: Books Can Be Deceiving
Author: Jenn Mckinlay
Pages: 269
Challenges: Cozy Mystery Series
Rating: 4/5

Summary from Goodreads:

Lindsey is getting into her groove as the director of the Briar Creek Public Library when a New York editor visits town, creating quite a buzz. Lindsey's friend Beth wants to sell the editor her children's book, but Beth's boyfriend, a famous author, gets in the way. When they go to confront him, he's found murdered-and Beth is the prime suspect. Lindsey has to act fast before they throw the book at the wrong person.

I found out about this cozy from browsing the Berkley Prime Crime website.  I ordered any cozy that looked good to me in from the library, and I'm been checking out a bunch of different series.  This one is definitely a keeper.  There's two other books written about Lindsey, the Briar Creek Public Librarian and I'm really looking forward to checking them out!

Books Can Be Deceiving was a quick, delicious read that had me quickly turning the pages.  I couldn't get enough of Lindsey and her friends.  Everyone was so nice, and I loved meeting all the quirky little characters in the tiny little town.  There were a few places in this book that I laughed at loud.  It was quite amusing!

The mystery for this one was really, really good.  I couldn't figure it out super quickly, which made the read all that much better.  It really takes a lot of a book when you can figure it out half way through. 

The other thing I loved about this book was the writing.  It was extremely well put together, and the characters were well developed.  Unlike some cozy mysteries, they weren't overly sweet or overly annoying either.  Everything was pretty much spot on. 

I'm looking forward to continuing this series, and will be putting them on hold quite soon at my local library!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails