"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Review: Firefly Lane



Title: Firefly Lane
Author:Kristin Hannah
Pages: 528
Rating: 4/5

In the turbulent summer of 1974, Kate Mularkey has accepted her place at the bottom of the eighth-grade social food chain. Then, to her amazement, the "coolest girl in the world" moves in across the street and wants to be her friend. Tully Hart seems to have it all — beauty, brains, ambition. On the surface they are as opposite as two people can be: Kate, doomed to be forever uncool, with a loving family who mortifies her at every turn. Tully, steeped in glamour and mystery, but with a secret that is destroying her. They make a pact to be best friends forever; by summer's end they've become TullyandKate. Inseparable.

So begins Kristin Hannah's magnificent new novel. Spanning more than three decades and playing out across the ever-changing face of the Pacific Northwest, Firefly Lane is the poignant, powerful story of two women and the friendship that becomes the bulkhead of their lives (Powell's Books).


It's been a few months since I finished this book, so I'm not sure how much detail I remember but I do remember this much. This is an absolutely fabulous read. Even at over 500 pages, I flew through this book in only a few days, barely putting it down to even cook dinner.

The story of Kate and Tully starts when they are just young girls, and takes us through their entire lives together. We get to witness all of the ups and downs, all of the trials and tribulations that take place during their friendship and their lives.

I've heard a lot of people have found this book to be contrived, and a new Beaches for the 2000s, but I found it to be refreshing. This was the first Kristin Hannah book that I have ever read; however, I know that it will not be my last. I've already picked up several of her older novels and added them to the massive TBR stack.

So grab your tissues, grab the book, and dial your best friend because you'll definitely want to share this book with her.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails