"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Review: Dare You To


Title: Dare You To
Author: Katie McGarry
Pages: 456
Challenges: None
Rating: 4/5

Summary from Goodreads:

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....


Dare You To is the sequel to Pushing the Limits and I bought it almost immediately after finishing Echo and Noah's story.  We first meet Beth in Pushing the Limits because her aunt and uncle are Noah's foster parents.  She's tough and kinda mean and I really didn't like her much.  I was a bit hesitant going into this one because of that, but I was hoping for some glimpses into Noah and Echo's future lives that it made me really want to read it.

Well, that being side, I am so glad I continued with this series and read Beth's story.  I didn't like it as much as Pushing the Limits, simply because I couldn't connect with Beth like I connected with Echo.  However, as much as I loved Noah, I am more so in love with Ryan.  It must be something about baseball players, but wow.  Literary crush!!

 
 
The writing in this one was just as good, and it again uses the alternative chapters which I liked.  This seems to be becoming more of a trend in YA Contemporary books.  If its done right, it can work to the author's advantage.  I did prefer Ryan's voice a bit over Beth's but that's just personal preference.  Also, the love triangle in this one was a lot more prominent and really really was a huge part of the story.  I was really happy with how it was played out though and feel that Beth made the best decision for her. 
 
I really do think that Katie McGarry hit a home run with this series.  Haha...I just made a pun.  I can't wait until the third book comes out.  It is Isaiah's story and I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!  November 26th cannot get here fast enough!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails