"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Review: Bared to You


Title: Bared to You
Author: Sylvia Day
Pages: 352
Challenges: Contemporary Romance Challenge
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary from Goodreads:

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness…
He was beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I’d never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily…

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other’s most private wounds…and desires.The bonds of his love transformed me, even as i prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

I fell into the trap on this one.  I saw it on the shelf at the library, read the back, put it down.  Came home and looked it up on Goodreads, saw all the comparisons to Fifty Shades, went back to the library and checked it out.  What can I say...I'm a sucker.

It took me a long time to finally break down and read the Fifty Shade books and despite my better judgement I really found myself liking them.  When I saw that this one was like Fifty Shades but BETTER I had to check it out.

My thoughts...yes I can see the comparisons to Fifty Shades.  Both have uber rich alpha males with issues.  Both the girls are smart, but naive in ways.  However, the one different is that Eva, the heroine of Bared to You comes with her own set of issues.  That makes the whole thing a bit more different.  However, despite the similarities, both books are extremely different...and for me, Fifty Shades is still my favorite.

The thing that didn't click with me on this one was Gideon Cross.  I'm just not sure if I like him.  He's dark and dangerous with a zip code of issues, much like Christian Grey, but something about him isn't as "likable" or appealing.  Maybe it's all the references to his longish, floppy hair.  I don't know.

I liked Eva.  I think she has a backbone, and she's a well written character.  I just don't get why she's with Gideon Cross.  They don't fit.  She actually fits better with her roommate, but that's a whole other post for a whole other day.

I'm still going to continue with the "Crossfire" series, and already have book two "Reflected in You" on my night stand.  But I don't think this will be a series that I'll be buying and reading again.  We'll see how I feel though after I finish the trilogy...which may actually be more of a series per Day's website...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails