"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Review: The Summoning


Title: The Summoning
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Pages: 390
Rating: 3.5/5

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House . . . before its skeletons come back to haunt me (Cover Blurb).

I just finished this book up while I'm waiting for the glass guys to come and put in my new windshield, back window, and sunroof. I'll be honest, and let everyone know I bought this book because I really liked the cover. I wasn't even sure what it was all about until I packed it in my bag for vacation. The beginning of this story really really creeped me out but it kind of died from there. I still thought the book was suspensful but it could have been so much better. Also, I didn't feel like I could really connect with any of the characters. There just wasn't enough meat to the story to feel like I really knew anyone.

This is the first book in a trilogy, and I'm hoping that Armstrong was just really setting up the background of the story in this first book. I've already picked up the second book so I'm curious to see if it picks up more of the story, and what is going on with Lyle House. Also, I'd like to see how Chloe's mom and aunt fit into this whole story. Plus, the ending of book one really left you hanging on by a thread so I'm anxious to see how Armstrong continues with that in The Awakening.


1 comment:

Katie said...

I felt exactly the same way about this one!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails