"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, September 12, 2011

Audio Review: Cloaked

Title: Cloaked
Author: Alex Flinn
Listening Time: 6 hrs and 45 mins
Rating: 4/5

I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all. It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.

There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.

Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked (harpercollins.com).


I've been listening to my MP3 player again at work, so I find myself again turning to audio books to keep me company during a long day.  This week I listened to Cloak by Alex Flinn.  Last year, I read Beastly by the same author and absolutely adored it.  I enjoyed Cloak just as much.

To me the best thing about Cloak was the male protagonist.  I don't read a lot of books featuring a male narrator, and I don't know why because I really like them.  Johnny was an easy to like character, and I found myself rooting for him throughout all of his struggles and challenges.  I really wanted to see him prevail.  I think I always have a thing for the underdog.

The other thing that I really loved about Cloak was the use of fairy tales that weren't nearly as common as the fairy tales used in Beastly.  I absolutely had that story figured out before I even started it.  Cloaked on the other hand, while still predictable, held a bit more mystery. 

Flinn is a very strong writer, and I find myself being sucked into her stories.  They make we want to find a comfy chair, a warm blanket, and an amazing cup of coffee and settle in for a long and enjoyable ride.

As far as the audio itself, the reader was phenomenal.  I absolutely loved him!!  He truly made the story come alive.  This is probably one of the best audios that I have ever listened to, and it is all because of the reader!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails