"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Review: The Darkest Night



Title: The Darkest Night
Author: Gena Showalter
Pages: 374
Rating: 3.5/5

All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member--a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger that calms their torments...and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction--and a soul-shattering test of love....(www.bn.com)


This book was so different then anything I've read in a long time, and I really liked it. I'm looking forward to reading the next books in the series, and really look forward to seeing how Showalter tells the stories of the other Lords. They are such tortured souls!

The Lords of the Underworld have been cursed by the gods for opening Pandora's box and releasing the horrendous demons trapped inside. For centuries, they have existed, each living with a different demon trapped inside him including Violence, Wrath, Pain, and Disease. However, Maddox, the keeper of Violence has cursed for all eternity for killing Pandora. Every night at midnight he is stabbed six times in the stomach and spends the rest of the night in the depths of hell being burned alive. Man, does that make for one tortured "hero."

Ashlyn, our heroine, was born with the rare talent of being able to hear every conversation that took place in a specific location, no matter how long ago it occured. I thought Ashlyn was a weak character and one of the reason's I didn't give the book higher than a 3.5. For some reason I found her to be a bit whiny and wishy washy (nice description huh?). She just didn't grab ahold of me, and a part of me didn't really care what happened to her.

Despite my slight dislike for Ashlyn, I really enjoyed the story that this book had to tell. It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat, and I flew through the pages. I wanted to see what would happen to Maddox and how is story would be concluded. I really liked the ending and how in regard to the other Lords it was left open. I'll definitely be picking up book two soon.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails