"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Monday, January 18, 2010

Review: Glass


Title: Glass
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Pages: 681
Rating: 4.5/5

Crank. Glass. Ice. Crystal. Whatever you call it, it's all the same: a monster. And once it's got hold of you, this monster will never let you go.

Kristina thinks she can control it. Now with a baby to care for, she's determined to be the one deciding when and how much, the one calling the shots. But the monster is too strong, and before she knows it, Kristina is back in its grips. She needs the monster to keep going, to face the pressures of day-to-day life. She needs it to feel alive.

Once again the monster takes over Kristina's life and she will do anything for it, including giving up the one person who gives her the unconditional love she craves — her baby.

The sequel to Crank, this is the continuing story of Kristina and her descent back to hell. Told in verse, it's a harrowing and disturbing look at addiction and the damage that it inflicts (Cover Blurb).

This book took me a while to get through. It's not that I didn't like it. I did. Hopkins writing is mind blowing. But the subject of the book was super heavy and I often had to take a breather, and read something a little lighter.

Glass takes off where Crank ended. Kristina is still hiding from the "monster" and trying to raise her baby with the help of her mother and her step father Scott. However, the call becomes too much and sooner, rather than later, Kristina is back in the arms of crystal meth. Along the way, she meets Trey, a dealer who she ends up falling in love with. In Glass, we see how crystal meth continues to destroy Kristina and her life more and more. The ending of this novel was so powerful, I'm really interested to see where Hopkins takes it in the third and final book in the trilogy.

One thing that I really had to deal with in this novel, was my constant irritation with Kristina. I just wanted to reach into the pages and shake her. I was so disappointed in the choices she made, and how she put her habit before everything, including her infant son and her family. I found the whole thing to be a struggle to get through at times, but it doesn't mean I didn't like to book. On the contrary, I found Glass to be even more amazing written than Crank and cannot wait to read Hopkins other novels.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails